How much does a Nigerian senator earn?
Am sure you are also eager to know how much Nigerian senators earn and their allowances. This article provides credible information not only on a typical Nigerian senator’s salary in a month, but also the benefits attached to being a lawmaker in the country.
It is no news that the political sector is one of the most lucrative in Nigeria today. It is easy to see why politicians do all they can to get political offices, especially the senate house. Have you ever wondered why politicians spend a ludicrous amount of money for their campaign into political offices?
This is because they aim to recuperate financially once in office. The Senate house of the national assembly in Nigeria is one of the most viable offices and the competition to get a seat in the house is hard.
What is the Average Salary of a Senator in Nigeria?
The amount paid to each senator as salary per month in Nigeria as confirmed this 2021 is N700,000. This figure does not include other allowances or benefits accrued to a Nigerian senator, but their net pay. All other benefits adds up to N13,500,000 which rates a senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, the highest paid law makers in Africa and third in the world.
Benefits of a Nigerian Senator (Allowances)
- Travel and transport allowance (local and international travel and transport)
- Utilities allowance (electricity charges, telephone charges, internet access charges, water rates)
- Materials and supplies allowance (office stationeries/computer consumables, books, newspapers, magazines and periodicals, printing of non-security documents)
- Maintenance services allowance (maintenance of motor vehicle/transport equipment, office furniture, IT equipments)
- Training allowance (local and international training)
- Remedies and medical supplies allowance
From the above, a Nigerian senator takes more than 14 million Naira home on a monthly basis which when added up amounts to N170,400,000 annually. If we attempt to calculate the amount of money for all 109 senators together per year, it would run into billions or trillions.
We have also provided some top countries like US, UK, Kenya, etc and what their government representative earns for you to compare with our senators. You would be shocked at the discovery when you see the figures.
When you compare this with how much other country’s law makers, you will see the difference
- Philippines annual basic salary – $4, 497,957
- United States of America senate – $3,409,422
- US House of Representatives – $1,429,909 annually
- Kenya – $968,013 annually
- Australia – $646,230
- United Kingdom – £494,285.43
- India – $474,484
- Singapore – $253,469,
- Tanzania – $230,961.
The Nigerian government has been spending a total of N150 billion per year on the NASS but was forced to reduce it to N120 billion this year following cries that the lawmakers are milking the Federation Account aggressively.
A Breakdown of Nigerian Senator Salary Structure (2021)
1. Basic Salary
Nigerian Senator annual basic salary – N2,026,400,00
Nigerian House of Representatives annual basic salary – N1,985,212, 50
Nigerian Senator – N12, 902, 360.00annually
House of Representatives member – N9,525,985.50 annually.
The allowances are on: Vehicle fueling/maintenance, Constituency, Domestic Staff, Personal Assistant, Entertainment, Recess, Utilities, Newspaper/Periodicals, Houses Maintenance, Wardrobe, Estacode, and Duty Tour with another special amount in every four-year period on Accommodation, vehicle loan, furniture, and severance allowance, which make every Senator to pocket N24,090,000.00 and a House of Representatives member with N23,822,00.00 within the same period.